Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"Queen of the Week" - Nina Flowers



This weeks featured queen is one of the fiercest around! She was a dominating force on the Rupaul's Drag Race website and can be seen at circuit events around the country. But even with all her success she has remained an incredibly down to earth and humble person and that is one of the greatest things about her! Here in her own words...Nina Flowers!

Name: Jorge Flores, better known as Nina Flowers

Age: 34

Location: Denver, CO

Single or taken? Taken

What is your drag style like? Androgynous, High energy, Creative and Innovative

How long does it take you to get ready in drag? 2 hours for makeup and 1 hour to get dressed and final details

Do you have a favorite number you perform? “Outta Love” by Anastasia and “100% Pure Love” by Crystal Waters

Where can we see you perform? Every Sunday Night at Club Charlies in Denver, CO or the famous YouTube – Just type “Nina Flowers”

How did you first get into drag? First time I every wore makeup was at makeup school, and after that it became really fun to do it just to go clubbing

Who have been your biggest inspirations? Nina Hagen, Boy George, Pete Burns, Cyndi Lauper, Anny Lennox, and many other great performers from the 80s




What would be your three biggest tips for a new drag queen? Learn to do your makeup, Learn the words to the songs you perform, and never copy anyone for you should create your own style.

If you could perform anywhere in the world where would it be and why? As a DJ I constantly travel to circuit parties which I believe are great events to perform in because of all the energy that is involved. One of my favorite circuit parties that I’d love to perform is Alegria that takes place in New York City.

What is something that might surprise us all about you? I love performing and I love the preparation, but once I get off stage, I believe the magic is gone, so I really don’t feel comfortable hanging out in drag – I’d rather just leave it for the stage.

What makeup items could you not live without? Black eye shadow, clown white for my highlights, tarantula eyelashes, pearl eye shadows, black cherry lip liner, MAC brushes and lots of glitter.

Do you design any of your clothes, create any of your wigs, etc? Yes, I’m pretty independent and I like designing my clothes and making them, I also make my head pieces, as well as my own mixes.

What has been your all time greatest moment in drag? Performing at Gay Pride in Puerto Rico, and winning the Miss Puerto Rico Continental Pageant.

What else should we know about you? Besides all the glamour from this craft, I consider myself humble and real. I love helping other entertainers, and enjoy sharing my knowledge. I also enjoy learning from others. I started 15 years ago, and I’m still learning, I love it!
Be fierce, be great but be real and never forget where you came from.




To see more about Nina Flowers check out her myspace page.

No comments:

Post a Comment