Thursday, February 26, 2009

Queen of the Week - Adrienne Alexander



I met Adrienne through Myspace when I was getting ready to move up to Portland. She was incredibly friendly and welcoming and it was wonderful to finally meet her in person! She is a very fierce queen and I'm looking forward to getting to know her better as I get more involved in the drag scene up here.

Name: Adrienne Alexander

Age: 38

Location: Portland, OR

Single or taken?  Terminally single I am afraid...Unless there are any readers out there willing to take a chance on a big girl! LOL

What is your drag style like?  Hi-Drag Glamour - Old School - Big Hair - Rhinestones, feathers, sequins....

How long does it take you to get ready in drag?  About an hour and a half from shaving to stage....

Do you have a favorite number you perform?  Oh most definately. "A Woman's Got The Strength..." and my crazy "Serial Mom" mix...just to name a few.

Where can we see you perform?  I am the co-hostess of the Friday night show at Ember's Avenue - and I also perform occasionally at CC Slaughter's and Darcelle XV's.

How did you first get into drag?  I started "drag" on a dare for a Sunday night lip sync show with a cash prize....and I left broke! I had alot to learn.

Who have been your biggest inspirations?  Everyone inspires me in some form or another. You can learn WHAT to do from someone just as easily as you can learn WHAT NOT to do from them. I tehd to watch the "WHAT NOT" to do - so I can avoid that from being me. LOL



What would be your three biggest tips for a new drag queen? 1. Understand why you want to do this...there could be many reasons. Some of them may not be not meant for stage.

2. Be who you are - not who someone else is. Not everyone's style works for another. Find your own niche.

3. Let the creativity come out! This is about self-expression. Don't hold back!


If you could perform anywhere in the world where would it be and why?  There are many revues I would love to be a part of....for the exposure. However I am limited as I am not a "character" kind of performer - so a "LaCage" style review is out for me. But there are still other places calling my name....LOL

What is something that might surprise us all about you?  I hate the bar scene. From being around in the clubs for so many years it has become stale. I go in, do my thing, and get out.

What makeup items could you not live without?  OMG -Well, being a lover of the black eyeshadow as I am - I could be a LaFemme Cosmetics Spokesperson! I also could not function without my Krylon TV Paint Stick & Coty Powder....Definate MUSTS in this business!



Do you design any of your clothes, create any of your wigs, etc?  I create all of my own wardrobe....I do all of my own mixes....I come up with all of my own concepts. I HATE DOING HAIR!!! My sisters Guera from Phoenix and Topaz from here in Portland take care of that for me!! LOL

What has been your all time greatest moment in drag?  Getting some free cheeseburgers in a McDonald's drive through just because they thought I was pretty! LOL - Just kidding. No - seriously. I have some great moments and memories that I will always cherish....the night I won Miss Gay Tucson America was a shining moment for me. I had just had a break from doing drag for 3 years and it was my first pageant experience after the break. That crowning moment is one I will never forget...hence why the video is on my MySpace. LOL

What else should we know about you?  I have been around for 18 years as an entertainer and I have seen many come and go...but you know what?? I AM STILL HERE!!!

To find out more about Adrienne check out her myspace page.

No comments:

Post a Comment