Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Queen of the Week - Anya Genetalya



Anya is yet another queen I met through the Rupaul's Drag Race site (I promise I'll get to queens that weren't from that site eventually, but there are just so many lovely ladies I met on there). She is an absolute sweetheart and reminds me a lot of myself when I was getting started in NYC. Here is a little bit about Anya Genetalya!

Name: Anya Genetalya

Age: 28

Location: New London, CT

Single or taken? Single!

What is your drag style like? I'm a very casual, laid-back queen that dresses up for special occasions... I love outfits that are short and spunky, nothing too over-the-top "drag queen"

How long does it take you to get ready in drag? Face can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, and dressing/accessorizing usually takes about 20 minutes, so it's about an hour to an hour-and-a-half process total.

Do you have a favorite number you perform? I love performing "Life of the Party" from Wild Party!

Where can we see you perform? You can find me about 2 Saturdays a month at O'Neill's Brass Rail in New London, CT.

How did you first get into drag? I started like many did, Halloween. As I got more comfortable with it I started coming out for occasional shows... and now I help run the shows!

Who have been your biggest inspirations? Ordinary people that do drag for fun! It IS possible to be ALL boy and still look fabulous in a dress, and I love people that are comfortable as queens AND as boys.

What would be your three biggest tips for a new drag queen?
1)Do LOTS of research- there are a million pictures of drag queens on the net and you can learn a lot from looking at hundreds of them.
2)Don't immediately try for the "sexy schoolgirl" look, "normal" clothes are best to start until you find your persona.
3)Splurge on the more expensive wig until you know how to make one look good!

If you could perform anywhere in the world where would it be and why? I would love to perform for my old friends on South Beach, because I've really matured as a person and performer since I left and I'd love for them to see that.



What is something that might surprise us all about you? Hmmm... well, when I first started doing drag, my friends wanted to name me 'Golda Showers'... I'll let you figure it out!

What makeup items could you not live without? A good foundation, a nice set of lashes and a dark rouge. I think I could make a complete face with just those three things.

Do you design any of your clothes, create any of your wigs, etc? Not yet, but I'm working on that. I have dabbled in creating some of my own stuff, but it's been very basic at the moment. I love the idea of being able to make something just the way I want it.

What has been your all time greatest moment in drag? To date, my favorite moment in drag was my performance of "New York, New York" that I did for RuPaul's Drag Race. The energy I brought to the stage and the enthusiasm I got from the audience was priceless! I will never forget the feeling.

What else should we know about you? I have a degree in music and theatre from the University of Miami and am hoping to start a career in theatre in the very near future... NYC, here I come!



To find out more about Anya check out her myspace page.

No comments:

Post a Comment