Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Queen of the Week - Envy Chanel



Envy Chanel is the fabulous drag mother of my number one partner in crime, sister, and roommate, Charisma Glitteratti! While I have never met her face to face, I have heard so many amazing things about her over the past couple years. She is an incredibly caring and giving person (there is always a package showing up at our house with a wig or a gown in it) and I am so happy to get to find out a little more about her here!


Name: Myles

Age: I tell people 15, but I am really 28.

Location: New Hampshire, traveling all over New England.

Single or taken? Single, but my heart belongs to someone.

What is your drag style like? I like pushing the envelope of the traditional look of "women" I believe a drag queen should be artistic and unique. I say, "I take the persona of a women, and I multiply it by 10." I am very happy as a man. I do not want to become a women, nor do I want to fool people into thinking I am one. What I want is appreciating for stepping out of the box in an artistic way!

I guess the best way to describe my style is, "Divine meets a Jem Doll" :)

How long does it take you to get ready in drag? I enjoy getting ready in drag, so I do not like to rush. I like taking my time and doing an eye... taking a break... do another eye... take a break... lips... cell... etc...

I take about 2 full hours from start to finish. That includes; showering, doing my makeup, putting on my padding/body shaping, styling any wig, packing a bag for my "night at work".

Do you have a favorite number you perform? Jessica Rabbit, I love doing it because it is the last think people will think of me coming out in.



Where can we see you perform? I am focusing on College so my performances are limited. I perform the first Friday of every month at Sportsmans in Lewiston ME. I also work the second Saturday of every month at Hobo's Cafe & Lounge located on Salisbury Beach MA.

For booking dates and times please go to: www. myspace. com/ms_envy_2006

How did you first get into drag? Well I remember when I was little I used to prance around in my mothers heels, and I would wear my white t-shirts on my head like long hair. That was when I was 18, Envy was created by the help of my drag mother Amber Snow. I networked and became inspired by other drag queens like, Kris Knievil, Mizery, Lakia Mondale, RuPaul etc... I met friends and new family. My dear sister, Cidney Chanel passe away in 2003. After that I kept to myself and realized, Cidney would want me to be happy doing what I love. Which is performing for my community. I came back in 2004 full-time and took on the Chanel last name. I am very happy to say I have been doing drag for nearly 10 years, full-time for almost 5 years.

Who have been your biggest inspirations? My biggest support and inspiration is my mother, Linda. She is there for me 24-7. She supports me and comes to nearly all of my shows. I am so blessed to have her and she helps inspire me all of the time.

What would be your three biggest tips for a new drag queen? What I am working on, and what I often preach is to be Humble. Although I am not perfect, I try to remember those who have helped me, and to respect all of my fellow entertainers.

I once heard someone say... "It is nice to be beautiful, but it is beautiful to be nice."

If you could perform anywhere in the world where would it be and why? That's hard, there are so many places I want to go... I don't know if I can pick just one. I know my decision would be wherever I can go to meet as many of my "drag idols" as I can. For example, a national pageant, or at someones bar when there is a pageant being held with many entertainers I aspire to be like!

What is something that might surprise us all about you? I have many things that will shock you... I am a very private person... I have a real bad phobia with spiders.

What makeup items could you not live without? My brushes.

Do you design any of your clothes, create any of your wigs, etc? I design and create all of my clothes. I learned how to sew by watching many friends and colleagues design and sew their own clothing.

Wig wise, I have a background in hairdressing. I have been a hairdresser for 10 years. I educated for Wella and L'Oreal Professional for almost 3 years. And I have educated for 4 years. I LOVE WIGS and designing. I do custom made wigs, and have started my own design company called "Envy Chanel Designs".

I make dance hair, updo's, funky fashions, avante guard etc... I can be reached by email ms_envy_chanel@yahoo.com.


What has been your all time greatest moment in drag? Winning the title of Miss New Hampshire Pride 2006. It was the first time my mother saw me in person in drag. And the first time my Mom saw me win a title.



To find out more about Envy check out her myspace page at www. myspace. com/ms_envy_2006

No comments:

Post a Comment