Monday, January 26, 2009

Queen of the Week - Ongina



Ongina is one of the 9 fierce queens who will be battling it out on Rupaul's Drag Race beginning Feb. 2nd! I know i didn't gush on about her in my original review of the shows contestants, but it was really hard to get a good idea what the contestants would be like from the short little video clips they had up. After finding out a bit more about her, watching some of her videos, and getting the chance to chat a bit with her she is now one of my favorites! I can't wait to see her fierce it out on the show with her ultra unique style!

Name:
"ongina"

Age: timeless.

Location: From the eastern hemisphere to seattle, new york and now los angeles!

Single or taken? I would like to say taken but i can't seem to nail him down!

What is your drag style like? I'm sort of the alternative drag queen. i don't like to wear wigs, but will, given a certain inspiration for a performance. i also don't wear bras cuz i find them uncomfortable but corsets are a love of mine. (i know weird huh.) I'm a top 40 kind of diva so a lot of my inspirations come from a lot of top 40 artists and super obsessed and inlove with "Sasha Fierce" aka Beyonce!

How long does it take you to get ready in drag? It really depends. Sometimes it takes me more than 4 hours to get ready if I have to shave my entire body, if i haven't for awhile. But if I have, I would say a good two hours is enough!



Do you have a favorite number you perform? I love performing different types of music but my three favorites are 1. top 40, 2. ballads, 3. beyonce!

Where can we see you perform? I'm a regular at la cita in downtown la but you can find me at any busy corner on Santa Monica Blvd. lol!

How did you first get into drag? It was more androgynous really. I loved wearing heels early on, you know, like sneaking away a pair of my mothers, then when I moved out, I loved wearing long pants that covered my feet so I can wear pumps then just about three years ago, I started working at a drag cabaret restaurant in NYC and that's when I started to do a lot more drag!

Who have been your biggest inspirations? One of my biggest inspirations has been Beyonce. The way she performs on stage, carries herself, the fashions she wears and her voice is very powerful.

What would be your three biggest tips for a new drag queen? Stay true to the image you want to portray, get a really good drag mother, and the closest the shave the better!

If you could perform anywhere in the world where would it be and why? I would love to perform in Japan. I love how artistic and open they are to a lot of different things. I love the Japanese culture, I even tried learning the language but it was really difficult! but tokyo is definitely my no. 1 choice!



What makeup items could you not live without? My MAC "emphasize" shaping powder. the perfect amount of glow on the right places!

Do you design any of your clothes, create any of your wigs, etc? I actually love designing and creating things to wear but i have been fortunate enough to work at a very glamorous retail boutique and have had the chance to get to know a lot of people in the industry so i've been hooked up! lol. i love that I'm a perfect size 2 and a 37 shoe! hehe...

What has been your all time greatest moment in drag? The greatest moment in my drag career has been RuPauls Drag Race which premiers on LOGO and logoonline. com Feb. 2nd!

What else should we know about you? "I might not be your typical queen but dammit I'm fierce!" (In a very humble way.)



To find out more about Ongina check out her Myspace Page or the Rupaul's Drag Race Cast Page. And don't forget to tune in to Logo for the premier on Monday, Feb. 2nd or catch full episodes on the Logo Website!

No comments:

Post a Comment