Monday, March 15, 2010

Queen of the Week - Paige Turner



Name: Paige Turner

Age: Beauty is timeless-I play 16-20 on stage. 

Location:  NYC Baby!

Single or taken? Depends on the night

What is your drag style like?  Girly girly!  I love anything crinoline and prom dresses-I wear a lot of fuschia/black and if I could runway for a designer it would be Betsey Johnson
 How long does it take you to get ready in drag?  I can be ready in 40 minutes-it doesn’t take much to transform into the magic.

Do you have a favorite number you perform?   Many!  If I had to choose 1- “I’m With You” Avril Lavigne

Where can we see you perform?  Bartini Ultralounge on a regular basis and I fill in the holes of some of the other queens around town as needed and let me tell you-those are some big F-in holes!  

How did you first get into drag? 1 foot at a time- I was doing a production of “Vampire Lesbians of Sodom” (which made Charles Busch famous) Everyone who saw it was like, you really need to be doing this all the time!

Who have been your biggest inspirations?   Actually I adore Charles Busch and Varla Jean Merman-they are true drag artists and are fabulous actors.  I also think 80’s Julie Brown (the white one) rubbed off on me a lot in creating Paige.


What would be your three biggest tips for a new drag queen?    Work hard at your hosting skills-it makes a huge difference!  Be a professional-drama can be entertaining,  but being easy to work with stands out in a good way!  Don’t shop at Forever 21-their return policy sucks!

If you could perform anywhere in the world where would it be and why?  I have never performed in P-town!  I think the old school queens there would eat me up and I have no problem rollerskating past Hedda Lettuce to attract an audience!

What is something that might surprise us all about you?   Hmm, the fact that people sometimes don’t realize I’m in drag and think I’m a real girl and that I can buy off the rack in the jrs dept. 

What makeup items could you not live without?  My Mac Pressed Powder and my bubblegum lipstick from CVS!

Do you design any of your clothes, create any of your wigs, etc?  I create a look based on the material I’m going to perform, the clothes seem to compliment the numbers and there is always a hint of retro thrown in.  I also can get a little crazy with a hot glue gun!

What has been your all time greatest moment in drag?  I think it was when I realized that people really respond to my character and that the world could definitely use a lot more of Paige Turner!  I really do find performing Paige rewarding in many ways and that people always say “I can really tell you love performing, which makes me want to watch you!”  That’s the best compliment.

What else should we know about you?  If you don’t like drag I encourage you to come see me-my main goal is for the audience to have a great time and to make people laugh, not to mention that I’m gorgeous-I’ve converted a lot of heathens!  

No comments:

Post a Comment