Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Queen of the Week - Candi Shell





Age: 32

Location: Brooklyn, NY

Single or taken? Still looking for my Prince Charming.

What is your drag style like? Sort of like Dolly Parton meets Jem and the Holograms. I write my own songs, along with my band SHE-DICK (myspace.com/shedickband). SHE-DICK is composed of another drag queen (Carrie Cash) and an actual biological female (Teresa Nasty)! Sometimes we do parodies of other people's songs, but, for the most part, it's all original material. We're a gender-bending, glam-pop girl group, and honey we are taking over the air waves!

How long does it take you to get ready in drag? Apart from the shaving process (cause ooh! I shave everything), about an hour.

Do you have a favorite number you perform? Performing with the group, I really love the song "SheDickulous". As a solo number, I adore singing "Under the Knife". It's all about plastic surgery and set to the tune of "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid. I often start the number in bandages and a hospital gown, and Carrie and Teresa play my surgeons.

Where can we see you perform? SHE-DICK is being featured in the BAM Showcase, happening this year on February 6 at Sputnik in Brooklyn.

How did you first get into drag? I've been trying to get my butt into a dress since I was very young, but it wasn't until college that the bug really bit me. My roommate Jessie (a girl) and I were asked to perform in this charity drag show. We wrote these funny songs and called ourselves Portia and Jolene (I was Jolene), and we won!

Who have been your biggest inspirations? My Mama and my Granny. Mariah Carey and Madonna. And of course RuPaul! Who could forget her??

What would be your three biggest tips for a new drag queen? Be yourself. With drag queendom changing constantly, the one thing you can rely on is the originality of your own personality. Also, if you've never seen it done before, try it! You never know what people are going to respond to. Lastly, be nice. Bitchy queens are so 10 years ago. We are the modern geishas, and we should behave as such, oozing grace and the feminine wiles of times gone by.

If you could perform anywhere in the world where would it be and why? Ooh.. That's tough. Madison Square Gardens? Tokyo? So many of my dreams have already come true with SHE-DICK. Last week we opened for Joan Rivers at the Gramercy Theater, and that was positively surreal. I'm just taking it one day at a time and doing my best to stay true to myself in the process. The process being becoming a big star!




What is something that might surprise us all about you? As a boy, I released a self-titled solo pop album. It's available now on iTunes. Just go to http://itunes.com/danpaul to find out more!

What makeup items could you not live without? My MAC liquid foundation and powder fix. Liquid liner and a good lip pencil. Oh--and glitter.

Do you design any of your clothes, create any of your wigs, etc? Having monthly themed parties keeps the Ladies of SHE-DICK on our toes. We're constantly traveling to the dollar store, fabric outlets and costume warehouses to come up with new creations. Fortunately, Teresa knows how to sew. Also I love sticking two wigs together to create a GIANT wig, and I'm a big fan of spraying all my hair pink. ;)




What has been your all time greatest moment in drag? It was really exciting when SHE-DICK played the Peaches' after party, and Peaches gave me a signed copy of her new single. She is a huge inspiration for us, with her non-traditional take on pop music and her crazycool style.

What else should we know about you? As well as being a singing/dancing tranny, I am also an illustrator! I've drawn caricatures at parties, just had my first New York art show, AND I'm putting the finishing touches on a 40 page, full-color SHE-DICK comic book entitled Galactic Tranny (Available on Lulu.com August 2009).

No comments:

Post a Comment