Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Queen of the Week - Sabel Scities



Name: Timothy Byars AKA Sabel Scities

Age: 22

Location: Portland, Or/Vancouver, Wa

Single or taken? Single

What is your drag style like? Eclectic, i guess haha. You never know what to expect, one minute I am dancing the house down, then I may come out in a Broadway number, switch to Country, and maybe a drag staple or torch song. I'm the kinda girl who likes to find a way to reach everyone present and make sure they at least have one moment of, "OMG, I LOVE this song!" My friend Vegas says, "Dancing diva riding on the fuzzy line between MGA and USofA"

How long does it take you to get ready in drag? It really depends, I try to always allow myself no less than an hour and a half, but we all have our days where a 20 min face has gotta do.

Do you have a favorite number you perform? Currently one of my faves is "When Love Takes Over" but I'm such a music fanatic that I couldn't really pick just one song. But any mix I make with Sweet Pussy Pauline makes me very happy, lol.

Where can we see you perform? I am currently performing Thurs-Sat at The Embers Ave here in Portland. I try to get out as often as possible to other events to mingle with different types of people and crowds. I'm a little bit addicted to the social aspect of what I do, haha.



How did you first get into drag? I have been on stage as long as I can remember. Any chance to sing, dance, or act draws me in . . . I began performing at Embers as a guy, which at the time was like a karaoke break between the queens, and one weekend I decided I wanted to give face a try. My first song was supposed to be "Take It Back" by Reba, to my horror, the wrong track played and I did "Poses" by Rufus Wainwright. Thank heavens it is my favorite song in the world so I pulled it off well enough for my experience at the time haha. The early memories are very tragic memories of Sabel. I owe so much to the queens here who have inspired me and drove me to never settle for 'good' or 'well done' . . . she was only here a short time, but Dakota St James was a huge part in my discovery of drag outside of Portland and into international pageantry.

Who have been your biggest inspirations? Locally: my drag mother Jersey, Vegas Platinum, Topaz Crawford, Poison Waters, and Bolivia Charmichaels. Around the country: Aurora Sexton, Catia Lee Love, Jackie Beat, Layla Larue, Nova Starr, Alyssa Edwards, India Ferrah, Porsche . . . the list goes on, but those are the first ones to mind.



What would be your three biggest tips for a new drag queen? 1) Open your mind!!! Find ways to constantly surprise everyone, including yourself. 2) Never forget, we do this because we LOVE it. When it becomes a pain or a thorn in your side instead of something you look forward to every time, take a break! 3) Never refuse advice. Take what you like and apply it and gently set the rest aside in case you need it later! . . . and if I may ad a 4th? 4) Remember who you are and where you come from. You may be more talented in one area, but you are "better" than no one. Stay grounded and show love to everyone everywhere you go. Be the life of the party and make sure you say hi to everyone in the room. You never know if you might be the one to make their night!

If you could perform anywhere in the world where would it be and why? I'm dying to move to New York. My plan is to go in April!

What is something that might surprise us all about you? Tim is very very shy, and hates going to gay bars lol. If I ever do go, I generally find a friend or hide in a corner with my drink and people watch. Anyone who has seen Sabel out, knows she is quite the opposite. She may not know anyone, but it won't stop her from meeting everyone she sees and making new friends. Tim just enjoys the natural flow.

What makeup items could you not live without? Lashes, clown white cream, pretty pink, my brushes, and black, white, and brown . . . maybe some pink or red lol . . . and yellow . . . and orange lol



Do you design any of your clothes, create any of your wigs, etc? Lately I've had some time to come to an understanding with my sewing machine and made a few things I'm very happy with. Wigs, i generally stay away from when it comes to styling. I have very talented friends who know exactly what to do. I have a lot of fun making the mixes I use. Still learning!

What has been your all time greatest moment in drag? So far I have to say winning the Portland version of RuPauls drag race and winning the trip to NY . . . if I hadn't won the contest and the trip, I wouldn't have the passion to up and move myself to the other side of the country and take on a new adventure! It was a huge blessing.

What else should we know about you? I am an open book. I love meeting new people and learning about different walks of life. I love living . . .not just existing, but LIVING. Making every day and every experience count for something. And you should also know, since I was 5 all I have wanted to be is famous . . . I've finished everything I have started to do, this will be no different!

No comments:

Post a Comment