Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Queen of the Week - Sweetie



Name: SWEETIE

Age: Stevie Nicks put it best in Gold Dust Woman....."Rock on Ancient Queen".......

Location: New York City

Single or taken? I wish I could answer that with a definitive answer. It's complicated.....

What is your drag style like? I fluctuate. I'm somewhere between Earth Mother and Red Hot Momma.

How long does it take you to get ready in drag? For a show or appearance 2 hours. Thats from getting into the shower to walking out the door.

Do you have a favorite number you perform? As old school as it sounds, I love Bette Midlers medley of The Rolling Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want" into Dylan's "I Shall Be Released". It's kind of my signature.

Where can we see you perform? I am thrilled to announce that I am part of a brand new drag theater company called Shim Mamsir Productions. It's with Bianca DelRio, Mimi Imfurst, Bianca Leigh, Lavinia Co-Op and Dallas Dubois. We will be doing monthly productions beginning in February. Really wild, wacky, imaginative stuff. I am not in the clubs as much as I used to be. I do a ton of special events and have been doing some travelling with a documentary film I am the subject of called Charmed Life.



How did you first get into drag? It was completely organic. I was probably just old enough to walk and I got into my mothers heels. Add a bath towel for long Cher hair and whatever make up was in the vanity cabinet and Sweetie was born.

Who have been your biggest inspirations? I get inspiration from so many people and things. I really couldn't give you a biggest. I am inspired by integrity, creativity, courage......and a killer look will always leave me inspired.

What would be your three biggest tips for a new drag queen? When you fist begin performing, choose a song that you LOVED when you were growing up. It's already in your soul. Just let it out for the audience to love as much as you do. I would also have to say being humble gets you alot further than being a bitch. Last but not least, ALWAYS wear perfume. It makes the drag experience more 3Dimensional.

If you could perform anywhere in the world where would it be and why? Wow, Great question. Probably Radio City Music Hall in the middle of that enormous stage all by myself. I have always LOVED that space. So lush.



What is something that might surprise us all about you? I have never taken a shit in drag. Honest to God.

What makeup items could you not live without? MAC pure pigments in Melon and Rose Gold. A fresh pair of lashes every time I get in drag is kind of a fetish of mine. Tom Ford's Black Orchid perfume. My biggest love is MAC Lady Danger lipstick. It's amazing.

Do you design any of your clothes, create any of your wigs, etc? I have a say in everything I put on my back. I work with great designers who can transpose with their hands what I have in my head. I also have very strong feelings about my hair and work with my hair dresser about concepts.



What has been your all time greatest moment in drag? Drag has afforded a truly amazing life. I don't have a greatest moment. I have had the chance to taste, touch and feels things all over the world that I could have never dreamed of.....all because of drag.

What else should we know about you?
I have no gag reflex and can breathe thru my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment